Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Setting the Record Straight

I often share the many, many stories of hillbilly hi jinx with my friends.
Recently, after telling a story, my friend said, "What... is the guy retarded or something?"

I was a little taken aback. Special needs kids get a lot of grief in life, do they really deserve to be lumped in with the hillbilly? It's unfair and mean.
In fact, when retarded kids make fun of people they call them "hillbillies."
The difference between the hillbilly and the special needs kid is vast.
Here are just a couple of examples:
Many special needs kids are gainfully employed... The Hillbilly? Not so much.
The special needs kids will engage in sports and recreational activities. Since pretending you're a NASCAR racer by driving your beat-up car through town and boxing your girlfriend around are not technically "sports," the hillbilly avoids exercise. (Note: There is no such thing as the Hillbilly Olympics.)
Special needs kids show some degree of responsibility. The hillbilly is paid by the government to be irresponsible.
Special needs kids are aware of hygiene issues. The hillbilly believes hygiene is a greeting for a dude named Gene.
Finally, special needs kids warrant our help and pity.
The hillbilly? Not so much.

1 comment:

JadeMarie said...

I'm a hillbilly, I am not uneducated (yes I went to college), and I do not use the government to support me, I live off my land a lot like a hermit, only going to town as necessary, and I'm a hard worker. I believe you are mistaking hillbillies for hicks/rednecks. They are the ones that drink and yell while barbecuing and beat and molest each other in trailer parks, show up drunk at work complaining they can't afford to replace a light on their car that is cheaper than the pack of cigs in their pockets. Hillbillies raise their own food and keep to themselves. I don't have a phone or get tv channels. I live in a 2 story house built in 2000 (it's not run down and yes has indoor plumbing) in a valley away from civilization -my flashlights and radios crank to work :).
Hillbillies are quiet and reserved...sometimes sheltered if they haven't gotten out recently (jed clampett -like), but never dependent, especially not on the government, that is for people who can't hold their heads up. Can you imagine Jed Clampett going on welfare, or beating someone? I know I can't.
However, if I did not visit my sister (who is a loud redneck/hick -embarrassing but she's proud of it) I would not be able to post here. So there, now we both have something to thank hicks for. Mine drags me onto the internet... yours are hicks in disguise.